When the EVMs are unsealed and votes counted on Friday, the biggest surprise could be the meteoric rise of the BJP on the back of what is called a “Narendra Modi” wave.
Reduced to just six MLAs and no MPs after the 2009 assembly and Lok Sabha elections, no one was willing to wager a bet on it. The party’s performance in 2012 panchayat polls and last year’s civic polls too was lacklustre.
With the Congress caught in rampant infighting Biju Janata Dal (BJD) looked set to romp home comfortably for the fourth consecutive time. BJD leaders had predicted victory in 17 of the 21 seats.
However, things quickly changed for the BJP with Narendra Modi’s February rally in Bhubaneswar. He launched a scathing attack on Naveen Patnaik for failing to give jobs to local youths. This was the turning point. Every rally Modi subsequently addressed was packed.
By early April, the tide had changed in favour of BJP. The indicative seat would be Kalahandi where Congress leader Bhakta Charan Das is the sitting MP. So if BJP’s Pradip Nayak is leading there after first couple of rounds, it would be safe to estimate that BJP would win Bolangir, Sundargarh, Sambalpur and Bargarh too.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The same is true in coastal and northern Orissa where early BJP leads in Balasore could point to wins in Mayurbhanj, Keonjhar and Dhenkanal.