Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi is planning to introduce organisational elections to pick the party’s leaders, from “top to bottom”, including Congress Working Committee (CWC) members and office bearers like general secretaries.
“Rahul wants transparent elections in the entire party, like in the Indian Youth Congress and the NSUI. He wants to introduce elections in the party at all levels,” said AICC general secretary Ajay Maken. Asked if elections would be held to elect CWC members and AICC office bearers, Maken replied, “from top to bottom”.
While Rahul introduced elections in the IYC and NSUI, the national presidents of the two bodies are not selected through internal polls.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Meanwhile, depending on the success of the primaries experiment to select the party’s candidates in 17 constituencies in the coming Lok Sabha elections, Rahul is planning to opt for the same model during the Assembly polls too.
“The process of selection of Congress candidates in the next elections is going to be entirely different,” said a source close to Rahul.
“He wants to open up the system. The primaries would help open the system. He wants to end the high command culture in decision-making and empower grassroots workers,” said Maken.