Thursday, Oct 30, 2014

Officials stick to stand: Arvind Kejriwal has Z-plus security

Express News Service | New Delhi | Posted: March 10, 2014 2:46 am

WHILE the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Sunday reiterated that its convenor Arvind Kejriwal had not accepted Z-category security, senior security officials said there had been no “fourth letter” either from his side refusing the security, the kind he had earlier sent thrice when he was offered security in view of his post.

On January 19, senior Delhi Police officers had a meeting with Kejriwal where he was explained that the “threat to his life was real”. An officer said he had not sent any “letter of refusal” after that.

The three occasions on which he had written to the police declining security was before this meeting. There is no rule that a person regarding whom threat assessment has been done by security agencies has to submit a letter accepting the security, an officer said.

A press release sent by AAP said, “It is on record that Arvind Kejriwal has consistently refused to accept any such category of security since he became the CM on December 28, 2013, and his written statements have been in public domain as well as with the top police brass.”

“The threat assessment is done by intelligence agencies and a committee comprising Home Ministry officials also reviews it. There is no such rule where a protectee has to write a letter of acceptance,” said a senior officer.

Kejriwal’s security would have continued till March 14, a month after his resignation as chief minister. Following a ministry order, he has been given Z-category security.

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping