Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Thursday used his acknowledgement of his relationship with a woman journalist to target Narendra Modi, saying he is not a “coward” like the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate to hide his marital status for years.
Congress, meanwhile, steered clear of questions whether Digvijay’s announcement has caused an embarassment to the party while his son and Madhya Pradesh MLA Jaiwardhan Singh said his father’s move to remarry was a “personal matter” and extended full support to him.
“As far as I am concerned, I don’t hide my relationship which Mr Modi does. I am absolutely clear in this. I am not a coward which Mr Narendra Modi unfortunately is,” the 67-year-old AICC General Secretary told reporters.
In the ongoing Lok Sabha campaign, Digvijay was among the Congress leaders who slammed Modi, who, last month, for the first time publicly acknowledged that he is married.
In his poll affidavit while filing his nomination last month for the Vadodara seat, Modi for the first time made it known that Jashodaben was his wife.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Modi entered his wife’s name in a column asking about his marital status. He had left the column blank on previous occasions, including in the last Gujarat Assembly elections in 2012.
At the AICC briefing, Finance Minister P Chidambaram steered clear of questions whether Digvijay’s announcement has caused an embarassment to the Congress.
“I do not comment on private life of persons whether belonging to other parties or Congress. It should be best left to the person concerned,” he told reporters in Delhi.
Jaiwardhan Singh, a Congress MLA, said his father’s decision was a personal matter.
“I think it is a highly personal matter about which I would not like to say anything,” he said in Bhopal.
“However, I would like to say that my father has my full support,” Singh said.
Digvijay took to Twitter yesterday to announce his relationship with Amrita Rai and plans about marrying her after the social media went viral about it.
“I have no hesitation in accepting my relationship with Amrita Rai. She and her husband have already filed a mutual consent divorce case…Once that is decided we would formalise it,” the former Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh tweeted.