With Sonia and Rahul Gandhi at the top, Congress has “no vacancy” for a leadership role, party leader Shashi Tharoor Saturday said amidst speculation that Priyanka Gandhi could assume a bigger responsibility in the organisation.
“Congress has a President and a Vice-President, who is not only functioning but also active. Off course, Priyanka Gandhi is campaigning in two Lok Sabha constituencies (Amethi and Rae Bareli),” Tharoor, who is also a party spokesperson, told reporters, adding that she herself had restricted her role to the two seats.
Asked if this meant Priyanka was not required, Tharoor said “there is no vacancy at the moment. We have a President and a Vice President and they are doing a job”.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The Congress leader, at the same time, said that there has been a “very positive impact” by the campaigning of Priyanka in the two parliamentary constituencies.
Earlier this week, Priyanka had said that her brother Rahul had expressed to her many times that he thinks, she should contest.
She had also said that no one in her family would ever stop her from contesting an election.
“My brother, mother and husband would whole-heartedly support me if I wanted to contest. My decision not to contest is entirely my own. I will only change it when I feel from within I should,” she had said.
Priyanka’s comments had came in response to a report that she was very keen to contest from Varanasi Lok Sabha seat against Modi because she felt he was “bad for the country” and needed to be “stopped”.
But, the report added, the “party leadership finally decided against fielding her”.
Two years younger than 43-year-old Rahul, Priyanka is seen as a more natural leader in Congress than her brother.
There have been demands from partymen from time to time that Priyanka should assume a larger role and campaign all over the country.