The Left parties, including major partner CPM, on Saturday ruled out the possibility of joining hands with Trinamool Congress to counter BJP, a day after West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said that no one was “untouchable” in politics, including the communists.
“There is no question of alliance with Trinamool or Mamata Banerjee. It is due to her policies and politics that BJP has made inroads in West Bengal. If we have to fight the communal BJP, we will fight it on our own,” CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta told PTI here.
In an interview on Friday, the TMC chief, when asked if she was willing to ally with the Left parties, had replied that talks could be held. “She was the first to bring BJP into the state when she joined hands with them in 1998,” said CPM politburo member Surjya Kanta Mishra, who is also the Leader of the Opposition.
Meanwhile, the ruling party leaders in the state tried to play down the CM’s overtures. TMC state president Subrata Bakshi said: “It was a general statement about politics. You see that JD(U) and RJD have joined hands with Congress after 20 years. This is politics. So we do not want to comment on what Didi has said.” Senior TMC MP Sougata Roy saw no “veiled” signal in what Mamata said. “The CM is the chief of the party and her comment is final. She has made a general statement that all options are open in politics. One should not jump to any conclusion and take one particular party in consideration,” he said.
(With inputs from PTI)
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More