Congress on Wednesday said there is “absolutely no legal bar” for it in getting the post of the Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha despite the party falling short of the requisite numbers.
“Certainly statutory preconditions have to be satisfied. But there is absolutely no legal bar over the discretion of the Speaker to recognise in functional terms of group, leader or party as Opposition,” Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi said.
Striking a similar note, former Law Minister M Veerappa Moily said a plain reading of law makes it clear that for a person to be recognised for the post should be leader of a party in Opposition with the greatest numerical strength.
He was rejecting suggestions that Congress, with 44 Mps in the Lok Sabha, may not get the post of Leader of the Opposition. “Beyond these legal requirements mentioned in Section 2 of The Salary and Allowances of Leaders of Opposition in Parliament Act, 1977, there appears to be no other condition such as the minimum number of strength of such party equivalent to the quorum of the house,” Moily said in a statement said.
He said the “ambiguity” on the issue has arisen due to the practice being followed by the Lok Sabha Speaker in granting recognition to Leaders of the Opposition in the past.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“The practice has been to read Direction 121 of the Directions of the Speaker which says that in recognising a Parliamentary Party or Group, the Speaker should ensure that it shall have at least a strength equal to the quorum fixed to constitute a sitting of the House, that is one-tenth of the total number of members of the House.
“…in this context it may be mentioned that directions of the Speaker cannot override a statutory requirement,” he insisted. According to Moily, Parliament cannot function without a Leader of Opposition since then many provisions in the Acts of Parliament have recognised and have assigned a definite role for the Leader of Opposition in appointments to statutory bodies and authorities.