Rajya Sabha member and former MP of Bhandara-Gondia Praful Patel said Congress’s weak stand on UPA’s prime ministerial nominee was one of the reasons for the its debacle in the recently-concluded general elections.
Patel, who visited the region for the first time after election results were declared on May 16, said, “No clear stand of the Congress party on UPA Prime Ministerial candidate against BJP’s Narendra Modi, was one of the reasons behind the defeat of UPA in the Lok Sabha election.”
The former Union Civil Aviation minister was recently elected unopposed to the Rajya Sabha.
He said Congress failed to take their good work to people and that the then prime minister should have spoken openly at times, when it was required.
“We failed to counter campaigns of Opposition on scams like 2G, coalgate, etc, whereas in reality there was nothing serious. At times, when the prime minister should have come forward and needed to give reply, he kept mum,” Patel said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Replying to a query on his unexpected defeat in his home constituency, Patel said it is for the people to think and he will continue to work the people.
“I am here back as Parliamentarian (as a Rajya Sabha member) and will continue to work for the people of Bhandara and Gondia districts. Perhaps, I am among those parliamentarians, who worked successfully to bring development in the constituency and remain constantly in public touch. It is up to the people to give a thought. May be they have elected someone better than me,” he said.
On the upcoming assembly election in Maharashtra, Patel said presently they (NCP) are in alliance with Congress.
“Party will decide after holding inter-party meetings as to with whom election will be contested. There is no kind of old formula and all talks will be done afresh,” he said.
Speaking on the issue of separate Vidarbha state, he said NCP has always been in favour of the move.
“It is our demand also and after the formation of Telangana, there should be separate Vidarbha state. If there is any resolution for Vidarbha state, we will support it,” Patel said.