The Samajwadi Party(SP) today indicated that it may not field candidates against Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul Gandhi in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
The SP has announced its nominees for 78 of the 80 Parliamentary constituences in UP and not named anyone so far to contest from Rae Bareli and Amethi — the two Lok Sabha seats from where the Congress President and Vice President respectively are seeking re-election.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav replied in the affirmative when asked by newsmen whether the ruling SP was showing “political courtesy” by not fielding candidates against Sonia and Rahul in the pocketborough of the Gandhi family.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Akhilesh said his father and SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav had not announced any candidates yet for Rae Bareli and Amethi, and noted that the SP had not put up nominees in the two constituencies in the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
“We have earlier not fielded candidates in Rae Bareli and Amethi. They have shown courtesy by not fielding candidate in Kannauj (against wife Dimple Yadav). Till now, netaji (Mulayam Singh Yadav) has not given candidates in Rae Bareli and Amethi,” Akhilesh, who is also the state president of SP, told reporters.
Asked about the possibility of his party supporting Congress after Lok Sabha polls, he said nobody knows how the future will unfold.
“A number of parties are looking at SP. Some front of these parties will be ready for Lok Sabha polls. Our emphasis is on winning maximum number of seats,” the Chief Minister said.
To a query about BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi’s allegation that UP had witnessed 150 riots, Akhilesh said everyone knew the “reality” of BJP and that it could do any “propaganda” for winning seats.
On SP changing party candidates declared earlier, he said his party had a lot of candidates unlike others, who were yet to finalise their candidates.
Asked about former party leader Amar Singh joining RLD, Yadav said “he does not comment on his uncle.”
“Its good if he has gone there,” he said.
Meanwhile, following objection by the Election Commission on use of word ‘Samajwadi’ in the name of an ambulance service
being run in UP, Akhilesh defended the practice saying that the word was derived from the Constitution.
The EC on Saturday issued a notice to the SP government for using word ‘Samajwadi’ in the name of the service run under National Rural Health Mission. The scheme is named Samajwadi Ambulance Sewa.