The New Delhi Lok Sabha seat has been bagged by a woman candidate after a gap of 54 years.
In the just-concluded elections for the 16th Lok Sabha, BJP leader Meenakshi Lekhi defeated sitting MP and Congress heavyweight Ajay Maken from New Delhi seat by a huge margin.
Lawyer-turned-politician Lekhi, is the second woman to have gained victory on this seat after freedom fighter and former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Sucheta Kriplani.
Kriplani was elected to the Lok Sabha in 1952 and 1957 from the same constituency.
Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee had won from the New Delhi LS seat in 1977 on a Janata party ticket. He managed to retain the seat in 1980 but on a BJP ticket.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
In 1984, KC Pant of the Congress was declared elected from New Delhi. In the next two subsequent elections (1989 and 1991), the seat was wrested from the Congress by BJP’s L K Advani.
In the subsequent by-election in 1992, cinestar Rajesh Khanna defeated Advani and bagged the seat on a Congress ticket. However, he lost to senior BJP leader Jagmohan in the 1996 elections who retained the seat in the next elections as well.
Jagmohan was defeated by Congress’ Ajay Maken who dominated the seat from 2004 to 2014 and was defeated by Meenakshi Lekhi this time.
Lekhi secured 4,53,350 votes, followed by AAP’s Ashish Khaitan finishing second with 2,90,642 votes and Congress’ Ajay Maken managing a mere 1,82,893 to end up third.