In what could signal an end of its long-standing alliance with Congress in Goa, the NCP today announced it will contest both the seats in Lok Sabha polls.
The NCP’s announcement came hours after Congress short-listed its candidates for both the seats, shaking the long standing seat-sharing understanding between both the parties.
The North Goa seat has traditionally been contested by NCP, while South Goa by Congress.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
“We have decided to contest both the seats. The formal announcement on the candidates is expected by March 19-20,” NCP’s Goa Chief spokesman Trojano D’Mello told PTI.
D’Mello, along with state desk incharge Dipak Kesarkar and party state chief Nilkant Halarnkar, met party chief Sharad Pawar and senior leader Praful Patel in Mumbai on Thursday morning.
The spokesman said, “the high command has allowed us to severe ties with the Congress and go ahead with contesting from both the seats”.
Congress on Wednesday shortlisted Ravi Naik (North Goa) and Fransisco Sardinha (South Goa), while a formal announcement is expected anytime from now. Goa sends two MPs to Lok Sabha.
NCP sources stated that local leaders have recommended names of Nilkant Halarnkar and Yuri Alemao, son of former minister Joaquim Alemao, to contest from North and South seats, respectively.