BJP general secretary Amit Shah is set to replace Rajnath Singh as party president on Wednesday, highly-placed party sources indicated. Party Parliamentary Board under the chairmanship of Rajnath Singh is likely to meet to formalise the announcement.
Shah, under whose charge the BJP bagged 73 out of 80 Lok Sabha seats in UP, became the front-runner for the post of party president after Rajnath Singh joined the government. While the party leaders admitted that suggestions were made to appoint another party general secretary J P Nadda to the post, Shah’s electoral success appear to have weighed in his favour.
As for the RSS, sources indicate that Sangh had made it clear that it will have no objection to anyone becoming the president with the blessings of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. “In our scheme of things, the PM’s word will be final whenever the party is in power,” underlined a top party leader.
Shah’s appointment will also be followed up with a massive organisational overhaul in the party with as many as four vacancies of general secretaries and vacancies among party vice-presidents. Most contentious, however, will be the re-constitution of the BJP Parliamentary Board which is full to the occupancy of 12 members. Shah’s elevation will automatically make him Parliamentary Board chairman necessitating exit of one of the existing members as the party constitution allows for only 12 members. Party leaders indicated that party general secretary Ananth Kumar, who is nominated by the party president into the Parliamentary Board, may be eased out.
Shah will also have to appoint new party presidents in four states – Delhi, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Assam.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Besides, Shah will have to steer the party through the forthcoming assembly elections in Maharashtra, Haryana, Jammu & Kashmir, and Jharkhand in next few months time.