Speculation is rife that former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose may be named for the country’s highest civilian award Bharat Ratna.
The speculation has been fuelled by the Home Ministry placing an order of five Bharat Ratna medallions. BJP leaders have in the past demanded Bharat Ratna be awarded to Vajpayee.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is heading the BJP-led government now, would take call on this and probably announce it in his Independence Day speech.
Among others whose names are being speculated is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
A senior Home Ministry official said that four days back the government mint had been asked to make for five medallions of the Bharat Ratna.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“But ordering five medallions does not mean that five persons will be bestowed with Bharat Ratna. This is to keep adequate number of medallions in reserve,” he said.
Besides, the government’s rule for Bharat Ratna is clear that the number of annual awards is restricted to a maximum of three in a particular year.
The recommendation for Bharat Ratna is made by the Prime Minister himself to the President. No formal recommendation for this is necessary.