Accusing the UPA government of mismanaging the economy, BJP’s national vice president Smriti Irani on Sunday claimed that Narendra Modi would bring it back on track after the NDA government comes to power at the Centre.
The economy flourished during the Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s government, she told reporters here. “In 2004, UPA inherited a legacy of strong economy from NDA government. But, UPA failed to move that forward. In 2004, India’s growth rate was 8.6 percent, which has come down to mere 4 percent at present. During Atalji’s time, industrial growth was 6.9 percent, which is close to zero today. UPA, which is now going out of power, is leaving behind a negative growth,” she claimed.
Despite having an economist Prime Minister in the form of Manmohan Singh, Indian economy is in shambles, the Rajya Sabha MP said.
“UPA promised in 2004 that Manmohan Singh and Finance Minster P Chidambaram will boost the economy, but they failed. India is now having a subsidy burden of Rs 1.20 lakh crore. The rupee has depreciated at a staggering rate of 38 per cent under UPA government. Inflation figures are close to 9.5 percent, which was just 4 percent in 2003,” she further claimed.
Irani also brought up the issue of policy paralysis, which has stalled India’s growth. “UPA government has admitted in Parliament that projects worth Rs 1 lakh crore are stalled due to policy paralysis,” claimed Irani.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“Today Narendra Modi has emerged as our hope. Given the overwhelming response he is receiving in rallies, we are sure that NDA will form a strong government and bring the economy back on track,” she expressed.
To a question on Gujarat being heavily under debt, Irani put the blame on UPA while alleging that the Centre was not supporting states having BJP government. “UPA government is not supporting BJP-led state governments. Gujarat is yet to receive Rs 4,000 crore as sales tax and more than Rs 5,000 crore under the mid-day meal program from the Centre. Since UPA is not giving that money, state government is spending it from its own treasury,” said Irani.
She also claimed that Gujarat is the only state which never took an over draft (OD) to meet the expenses.
On the rumours of her being possibly fielded against Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi in Amethi, Irani said, “I will do whatever my party decides for me.”