Accusing the UPA government of mismanaging the economy, BJP’s national vice president Smriti Irani on Sunday claimed that Narendra Modi would bring it back on track after the NDA government comes to power at the Centre.
The economy flourished during the Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s government, she told reporters here. “In 2004, UPA inherited a legacy of strong economy from NDA government. But, UPA failed to move that forward. In 2004, India’s growth rate was 8.6 percent, which has come down to mere 4 percent at present. During Atalji’s time, industrial growth was 6.9 percent, which is close to zero today. UPA, which is now going out of power, is leaving behind a negative growth,” she claimed.
Despite having an economist Prime Minister in the form of Manmohan Singh, Indian economy is in shambles, the Rajya Sabha MP said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“UPA promised in 2004 that Manmohan Singh and Finance Minster P Chidambaram will boost the economy, but they failed. India is now having a subsidy burden of Rs 1.20 lakh crore. The rupee has depreciated at a staggering rate of 38 per cent under UPA government. Inflation figures are close to 9.5 percent, which was just 4 percent in 2003,” she further claimed.
Irani also brought up the issue of policy paralysis, which has stalled India’s growth. “UPA government has admitted in Parliament that projects worth Rs 1 lakh crore are stalled due to policy paralysis,” claimed Irani.
“Today Narendra Modi has emerged as our hope. Given the overwhelming response he is receiving in rallies, we are sure that NDA will form a strong government and bring the economy back on track,” she expressed.
To a question on Gujarat being heavily under debt, Irani put the blame on UPA while alleging that the Centre was not supporting states having BJP government. “UPA government is not supporting BJP-led state governments. Gujarat is yet to receive Rs 4,000 crore as sales tax and more than Rs 5,000 crore under the mid-day meal program from the Centre. Since UPA is not giving that money, state government is spending it from its own treasury,” said Irani.
She also claimed that Gujarat is the only state which never took an over draft (OD) to meet the expenses.
On the rumours of her being possibly fielded against Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi in Amethi, Irani said, “I will do whatever my party decides for me.”