Narendra Modi not a good PM candidate, says Amartya Sen

Sen said he would like someone who is more secular as a PM.

By: Press Trust of India | Bolpur | Updated: May 1, 2014 8:43 am

Nobel laureate Amartya Sen came out against Narendra Modi on Wednesday saying that he did not think he is a good prime ministerial candidate.

“My reaction on Modi is fairly well known. I don’t think he is a good prime ministerial candidate. Obviously he is very popular in some sections. He is very popular among the business community. That doesn’t mean he is my favourite candidate,” Sen told reporters here when asked about his view on the BJP prime ministerial candidate.

“So I would like someone who is more secular and minority communities like Christians and Muslims don’t feel threatened by him. That has to be one characteristic of the leader of the nation,” he said.

Sen was here to cast his vote in Bolpur Lok Sabha seat.

1. I
    IndianWellWisher
    Apr 30, 2014 at 11:52 pm
    We need a better definition of an intellectual - not (Amartya Sen)!Get your priorities right - your formula of selling out to minorities does not help anyone - it destroys meritocracy.
    Prue88
    May 1, 2014 at 12:08 am
    Every body has a right to express his/ her view. This is a democratic country. People like you are the ones who feed the ego of these politicians and become slave to their whims and more power to such ignorant politicians.
    Anindya Chakraborty
    May 2, 2014 at 2:01 am
    Dr. Sen is a leftist & he talked like a leftist.
    PN
    Apr 30, 2014 at 1:24 pm
    sir - i respect you and am proud of you. But a proud Indian myself, I would request you to keep this view about Modi to yourself ... we will decide what we want.
    Arshad Hussain
    May 2, 2014 at 4:16 am
    BJP and Congress are not discussing the basic issues of our nation. we have many problems like poverty, lack of education, corruption, Crime against women, unemployment, etc. The election is centralized between Modi. I dont understand it. Even Mr. Modi is not presenting his views about above mention points.
  6. B
    Bobby Cherian
    Apr 30, 2014 at 1:41 pm
    So according to amartya, it seems that there are no muslims and christians in gujrat.
    Dev
    May 1, 2014 at 2:19 am
    Well Dr Sen like a good economist, please suggest us who wil make agood PM ????? Country may take call on your suggestion .....
  8. I
    Iqbal
    Apr 30, 2014 at 9:45 pm
    Please do not include me in your "we". I agree with Dr. Sen. Modi is not fit to govern India. Why on earth would anyone want a communal party or someone to represent your country that has a tainted past?