Narendra Modi will run for prime ministership as a married man.
Modi, who is fighting his fifth election from Gujarat, in his affidavit filed before Vadodara returning officer Vinod Rao Wednesday, declared Jashodaben as his wife. So far, in the four assembly elections that Modi has fought, the column on ‘spouse’ in his affidavits used to be blank.
The BJP prime ministerial candidate filed his nomination for the Vadodara seat, which goes to polls on April 30. He is also contesting from Varanasi.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Sources said the Representation of the Peoples Act 1951 mandates the declaration of assets and liabilities of the spouse of the candidate running for Parliament, failing which the candidate could be disqualified.
Returning Officer Rao’s office took 12 hours to release Modi’s affidavit, unusual for a candidate of his stature. Several meetings preceded the declaration.
Hours before making public the affidavit, Rao, when asked about rules regarding declaring of spouses for candidates, told The Indian Express, “I am not sure of the exact rules. We will have to look up the references.”
Jashodaben, who still writes her full name as Jashodaben Narendrabhai Modi, 62, retired as a government school teacher and currently lives near Vadnagar, Modi’s hometown in Mehsana. In February last, she had told The Indian Express — in her first interview after Modi was declared BJP’s PM candidate — that she married him at the age of 17 and they lived together all of three months after which they parted ways amicably. Their marriage, however, was never annulled formally.
The affidavit, which declares Modi’s annual income as Rs 4,54,095, has no income, PAN number or return details filed for spouse.
In an exclusive interview in February, Jashodaben spoke to IE about marriage and life after Modi. http://iexp.in/QkU77538