Narendra Modi will run for prime ministership as a married man.
Modi, who is fighting his fifth election from Gujarat, in his affidavit filed before Vadodara returning officer Vinod Rao Wednesday, declared Jashodaben as his wife. So far, in the four assembly elections that Modi has fought, the column on ‘spouse’ in his affidavits used to be blank.
The BJP prime ministerial candidate filed his nomination for the Vadodara seat, which goes to polls on April 30. He is also contesting from Varanasi.
Sources said the Representation of the Peoples Act 1951 mandates the declaration of assets and liabilities of the spouse of the candidate running for Parliament, failing which the candidate could be disqualified.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Returning Officer Rao’s office took 12 hours to release Modi’s affidavit, unusual for a candidate of his stature. Several meetings preceded the declaration.
Hours before making public the affidavit, Rao, when asked about rules regarding declaring of spouses for candidates, told The Indian Express, “I am not sure of the exact rules. We will have to look up the references.”
Jashodaben, who still writes her full name as Jashodaben Narendrabhai Modi, 62, retired as a government school teacher and currently lives near Vadnagar, Modi’s hometown in Mehsana. In February last, she had told The Indian Express — in her first interview after Modi was declared BJP’s PM candidate — that she married him at the age of 17 and they lived together all of three months after which they parted ways amicably. Their marriage, however, was never annulled formally.
The affidavit, which declares Modi’s annual income as Rs 4,54,095, has no income, PAN number or return details filed for spouse.
In an exclusive interview in February, Jashodaben spoke to IE about marriage and life after Modi. http://iexp.in/QkU77538