Bharatiya Janata Party leader Arun Jaitley on Thursday said his party’s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi has been able to overcome a sustained campaign against him over the 2012 Gujarat riots in which a section of the media had also targeted him.
He said there was a time when a major section of the media were also involved in targeting the Gujarat Chief Minister.
“But he had the capability to go over the head of the media and directly communicate with the people, where your views are believed more than what is being said against you,” he said.
Delving into the past, he said soon after the Godhra incident, a campaign had started to project that the coach carrying kar sewaks was not put on fire from outside, but the flames had erupted from inside the compartment.
“The first aspect of the conspiracy against Modi was to prove somehow that anti-nationals did not start the fire and nothing happened at the (railway) station. The fire erupted inside the compartment. A section had started to propounder this make-belief theory from day one,” he said blaming a section of media and some NGOs.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He was speaking at the launch of a book ‘Narendra Modi – a victim of manipulations’ here.
The Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha also slammed the findings of the Justice U.C Banerjee Committee on the incident, saying it was the “most disgraceful” chapter in Indian history.
Jaitley said the committee tried to prove that the fire started from inside the coach. “Falsehood has many versions, but truth has only one version….The report is now consigned to the dustbin,” he said.
He said the claims made by IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt about a meeting at Modi’s residence have been rejected by others present there.
“Hundreds were killed in police firing in Gujarat. It shows that the police were on the job. No one has been able to tell the number of people killed in police firing in 1984 riots,” he said in an apparent attack on Congress over the anti-Sikh riots.
The BJP leader said the findings of the Supreme Court-appointed SIT have demolished the conspiracy theories against Modi.