Congress sought to paint Narendra Modi as anti-Dalit on the anniversary of B R Ambedkar Monday by citing a book written by the BJP’s PM candidate which had spoken of manual scavenging as a “spiritual activity” and said it reflected his “anti-Dalit mindset”.
On a day when Modi attacked Congress for not giving the architect of Indian constitution his due, Congress accused him of doing precious little for the downtrodden despite ruling Gujarat over a dozen years. Quoting from book titled ‘Karamyog’ authored by Modi, Congress spokesman Randeep Surjewala said the Gujarat Chief Minister has articulated that Valmikis have been doing the job of manual scavenging not to sustain their livelihood but “as an unintentional spiritual activity for centuries”.
Surjewala said the views of Modi “really reflects his anti-Dalit mindset emanating out of core RSS ideology, blatant prejudice, and anti-dalit framework in which Narendra Modi has been born and brought up.”
Hours after Modi made a scathing attack on Congress for seeking to pocket the credit of empowering Dalits, Congress took potshots at Modi’s Gujarat government for not filling thousands of government job vacancies of SCs and STs in the BJP-ruled state.
“There is a backlog of 27,900 vacancies of SCs and STs in the state of Gujarat even today. Even in the city and district of Ahmedabad, from where Narendra Modi has been elected to Assembly, as many as 3,125 SC students have not been given their SC scholarship also till day,” Surjewala said.
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
Flanked by chairman of the AICC department for Scheduled Castes, K Raju, Surjewala narrated the “administrative failure” of Modi government in implementing the welfare measures meant for SCs and STs in Gujarat.
“State has a lopsided reservation policy of district-wise reservation. Surprisingly and under a strange system in Gujarat, district instead of state has been made the unit of implementation of reservation policy,” he said.
Surjewala pointed out that inter-district filling of vacancies under reserve categories is not allowed, denying lakhs of job opportunities to dalits and backward classes, which go unfilled on account of ban on inter-district movement of qualified candidates.