Narendra Modi on Thursday launched an all-out war on the Election Commission accusing it of working “under pressure” and showing bias against him and took out a roadshow defying prohibitory orders over the denial of permission for him to hold a rally here.
On a day, Modi, whos is contesting from Varanasi, and other top BJP guns traded heavy fire, the Election Commission called a special press conference to reject accusations of bias and made it clear that it was “not afraid of anyone, any political party or any entity” in doing its job.
Capping an acrimonious day, Modi landed at the Banaras Hindu University campus helipad, near the venue of the party protests, and held an undeclared 5 km roadshow to the main BJP election office in Sigra, where a large number police and Rapid Action Force personnel were deployed.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
All along the route, he was greeted by saffron-cap wearing supporters, who kept on chanting ‘Modi, Modi, Modi’ as the cavalcade made a slow progress to the venue of a meeting where he held closed-door discussions with senior leaders, workers and intellectuals.
Additional District Magistrate (City) M C Singh said prohibitory orders under Section 144 of Cr PC have been imposed in the city.
Right from the morning, the BJP brass, including Arun Jaitley and Amit Shah, attacked the Commission by holding protests outside the Banaras Hindu University and near the
Commission’s headquarters in Delhi demanding the removal of Pranjal Yadav, Varanasi Returning Officer for his “partisan approach”.
“It is unfortunate 5that the EC is not concerned about the institution’s neutrality. That is why our ‘karyakartas’ (workers) have to embark on a satyagraha,” he wrote on Twitter before embarking on a day-long campaigning in Eastern Uttar Pradesh.
He continued his criticism of the EC in the meetings. Addressing a rally on the outskirts of Varanasi, he escalated his attack saying the Commission was working “under pressure” but did not elaborate.
“The Election Commission should do introspection. I don’t know under whose pressure they are working. My speech is not so important because people will get my message even through my silence,” Modi said in an apparent reference to the denial of permission to address a meeting in Beniabagh, said to be a communally-sensitive spot in the city.
The BJP had applied for an alternative site but later spurned the permissions given to it hold a rally in another place. But the party insisted on holding it only in Beniabagh and turned all its guns on the EC.
Modi told the Congress that people have decided to defeat the party and “EC cannot make you win”.
On the security reasons cited for denial of permission, he said the government need not worry about his security as he was ready to die for his country.
“Still, it is an attack on my democratic rights. Should I not get rights that every other candidate is entitled to get. I have been denied permission to meet mother Ganga too,” he said, while promising to come back for Ganga pujan soon.
He claimed he was being targetted for last 14 years and even CBI has been left after him.