Union Minority Affairs minister Najma Heptulla on Friday denied the report that she had defended the RSS stand that all Indians are “Hindus”. She said that she had not used the word “Hindu” but the word “Hindi”.
“I did not use the word Hindu at all. I referred to the word Hindi. India, in Arabic, is Hind and all Indians are referred to as Hindi. It has nothing to do with religion but is a national identity. I have been misquoted in that report,” Heptulla told The Indian Express.
She was reacting to a report in the Hindustan Times in which she was quoted as saying that there is nothing wrong in Indians of whatever religion being called Hindus as it merely refers to where they live.
She declined to comment on RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat’s statement that all Indians are Hindus and also on her party’s attempt to raise the issue of love jihad. “These are not germane to my ministry and take away from the Narendra Modi government’s agenda of development for all,” she said. The denial notwithstanding, the comments drew sharp reactions from several parties even as BJP sought to play them down.
Reacting to the newspaper report Congress leader Manish Tewari said: “We respect Najmaji a lot but it would be better if she reads the Constitution. The Constitution mentions ‘Bharat’ and going by that every citizen of the country is a ‘Bharatiya’ and not Hindu.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More