The Telugu film industry is writing its own political script. After “Power Star”Pawan Kalyan, it was superstar Akkineni Nagarjuna who met Narendra Modi. Nagarjuna, who has acted in over 85 films, called on Modi at his Gandhinagar residence Monday evening. While Nagarjuna has so far stayed away from politics, even refusing to hobnob with politicians, he is learnt to have decided to support the BJP and Modi this time.
Nagarjuna, however, is known to be close to Y S Jaganmohan Reddy and had even met him in jail in the disproportionate assets case. He dismissed suggestions that he had met Modi as an emissary of Jagan.
“I have been reading about Modi. He is an inspiring leader and so when Venkaiah Naidu invited me to meet him I jumped at the opportunity. We just exchanged ideas and there was no political agenda. I like his leadership and I think he will be the next PM and will bring about a change in this country. While speaking to him I realised that all his ideas are self-sustaining. I wanted to find out about the development in Gujarat that everyone talks about. I am impressed with what I have seen; the Sabarmati riverfront, the model village which has WiFi and 24-hour power supply. I was told there are many villages like that in Gujarat. I live in Jubilee Hills in Hyderabad where we have a three-hour power cut daily. I would like to see this kind of development all over the country,’’ Nagarjuna said after his hour-long meet with Modi.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Pawan Kalyan, who launched a Jana Sena Party recently, had met Modi on March 21 and declared his support. Meanwhile, Telugu comedian and Padma Shree awardee K Brahmanandam is also trying to join the BJP.
Recently, star couple D Rajasekhar and Jeevitha Rajasekhar joined the BJP. Another actor, Kota Srinivasa Rao, is meeting state BJP leaders, including M Venkaiah Naidu, and is looking forward to joining the party.
Sources said that many film stars are disappointed at the manner in which the Congress divided the state. Former actor and former Union minister U V Krishnam Raju, who had joined the BJP in 1990 and quit to join K Chiranjeevi’s Praja Rajyam Party, has returned to the BJP.
Chirajeevi dismissed Nagarjuna’s visit to Modi: “Maybe Nagarjuna had some personal work. I don’t think it has anything to do with politics.”