The Telugu film industry is writing its own political script. After “Power Star”Pawan Kalyan, it was superstar Akkineni Nagarjuna who met Narendra Modi. Nagarjuna, who has acted in over 85 films, called on Modi at his Gandhinagar residence Monday evening. While Nagarjuna has so far stayed away from politics, even refusing to hobnob with politicians, he is learnt to have decided to support the BJP and Modi this time.
Nagarjuna, however, is known to be close to Y S Jaganmohan Reddy and had even met him in jail in the disproportionate assets case. He dismissed suggestions that he had met Modi as an emissary of Jagan.
“I have been reading about Modi. He is an inspiring leader and so when Venkaiah Naidu invited me to meet him I jumped at the opportunity. We just exchanged ideas and there was no political agenda. I like his leadership and I think he will be the next PM and will bring about a change in this country. While speaking to him I realised that all his ideas are self-sustaining. I wanted to find out about the development in Gujarat that everyone talks about. I am impressed with what I have seen; the Sabarmati riverfront, the model village which has WiFi and 24-hour power supply. I was told there are many villages like that in Gujarat. I live in Jubilee Hills in Hyderabad where we have a three-hour power cut daily. I would like to see this kind of development all over the country,’’ Nagarjuna said after his hour-long meet with Modi.
Pawan Kalyan, who launched a Jana Sena Party recently, had met Modi on March 21 and declared his support. Meanwhile, Telugu comedian and Padma Shree awardee K Brahmanandam is also trying to join the BJP.
Recently, star couple D Rajasekhar and Jeevitha Rajasekhar joined the BJP. Another actor, Kota Srinivasa Rao, is meeting state BJP leaders, including M Venkaiah Naidu, and is looking forward to joining the party.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Sources said that many film stars are disappointed at the manner in which the Congress divided the state. Former actor and former Union minister U V Krishnam Raju, who had joined the BJP in 1990 and quit to join K Chiranjeevi’s Praja Rajyam Party, has returned to the BJP.
Chirajeevi dismissed Nagarjuna’s visit to Modi: “Maybe Nagarjuna had some personal work. I don’t think it has anything to do with politics.”