My political journey has not yet ended: BJP veteran L K Advani

The blog comes days after speculation in a section of BJP over Advani's nomination to Rajya Sabha.

New Delhi | Updated: February 9, 2014 7:47 pm
 Advani, 86, recalled his association with RSS, which he joined as a fourteen-and-a-half-year-old in Karachi. (PTI) Advani, 86, recalled his association with RSS, which he joined as a fourteen-and-a-half-year-old in Karachi. (PTI)

On the eve of Lok Sabha elections, veteran BJP leader L K Advani on Sunday said his political journey that started 55 years ago has not yet ended, indicating an active innings ahead.

Blogging after a gap of one-and-a-half months, Advani, 86, recalled his association with RSS, which he joined as a fourteen-and-a-half-year-old in Karachi, and said, “It has given meaning to my life.”

“I found meaning when I left my home and family to work as a pracharak of the RSS, first in Karachi and later, after being uprooted by Partition, in Rajasthan.

“That meaning got further enriched when I embarked on a political journey fifty-five years ago, first as a worker of the Bharatiya Jana Sangh and later of the Bharatiya Janata Party. It is a journey that has not yet ended,” he said.

The blog comes days after speculation in a section of BJP over Advani’s nomination to Rajya Sabha.

Party president Rajnath Singh has, however, denied any such talk, saying Advani was free to choose his own Parliamentary seat to contest the forthcoming polls.

In his blog titled “How association with RSS has given meaning to my life”, Advani recalled his recent visit to Khushwant Singh, who entered his centenary year on February 2, and lauded him for being a prolific and active writer despite his advanced age.

Advani also recalled how Khushwant Singh had in an article praised his “liberal” persona despite criticising him in the past in connection with the demolition of Babri Masjid.

“Only a liberal and generous and earnestly large hearted person can so readily shed his aversion to another, one of whose actions he had so strongly disapproved earlier….,” the BJP leader said on his blog about Singh.

Quoting from Singh’s article, Advani wrote on his blog, “After he (Advani) led his Rath Yatra from Somnath Temple to Ayodha and watched the Babri Masjid being pulled down, I have been one of his severest critics. I used harsh words for him on his face at a public meeting he was to address.

“So, about my visit to his residence, he wrote: I had reason to fear that he wanted to tick me off and tell me to go to hell….Instead of ticking me off, as I expected, he brought a bouquet of roses for me and my daughter.

“I had to concede he was better Sikh than I am. He is an Amil Sindhi, a community that subscribes to Sikh tenets.

“We spent an hour talking about different things but did not refer to rath yatra and the destruction of Babri Masjid. It was entirely a courtesy call to reaffirm that despite differences we were on amicable talking terms. He is a bigger man that I thought he was.”

Advani also contradicted the claim made in a novel ‘The Interpretation of Murder’ by Jed Rubenfeld, a Yale professor, that a man can either have meaning or happiness in life and said, “I have had the good fortune of experiencing both, and in abundance.”

Ajay mittal
    Feb 9, 2014 at 4:08 pm
    LKA by continuously extending his shelf life has destro BJP. All the time he was at the helm in BJP, he did nothing to raise the important issues or to force debate on issues of - economic policies, children's education, healthcare, corruption, potion control, etc. He did not clean the BJP of corrupt and inefficient people. His was one point agenda of Ram Mandir and Raths. He has harmed BJP like no one else.
    Ajay mittal
    Feb 9, 2014 at 4:08 pm
    Ajay mittal
    Feb 9, 2014 at 3:52 pm
    LKA destro BJP. He did not focus on the very important things of - corruption, governance in BJP ruled states, price rise, healthcare, education for children, economic policies of the country and others. His focus was on Ram Mandir only. He further tried to extend his shelf life in politics and thus prevented credible leadership from emerging in BJP- erstwhile BJP turned AAP & NaMo supporter.
    Ajay mittal
    Feb 9, 2014 at 3:52 pm
  5. B
    Bittu sharma
    Feb 10, 2014 at 6:34 am
    Principles have no real force except when one is bad fed, BJP will need to respect his most senoir person L K advani ji, he is the maker of party, but modi only busy with watching dream of PM post
  6. B
    Bittu sharma
    Feb 10, 2014 at 6:34 am
  7. B
    Bittu sharma
    Feb 10, 2014 at 10:26 am
    Principles have no real force except when one is bad fed, but modi only busy with watching dream of PM post, and will not comes true, if they can't respect there party seniors then how they should respect people of india.
  8. B
    Brijkhanna
    Feb 9, 2014 at 4:44 pm
    Under no cirstances, Shri L.K.Advani be side lined. He must contest Lok Sabha seat from hi Nagar and should be appointed as Chair Person of NDA taking into consideration of his life long ociation with RSS, Jan Sangha and BJP. As mentor of NDA he would play the role of Shri Atal Behari Vajpayee who is not in good health. All these about his side lining is Congress propaa of which we all should be careful.