BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi on Monday snubbed party leaders making a big issue out of Congress Varanasi candidate Ajay Rai displaying the party symbol at a poll booth, saying it was a “small thing”.
As BJP and AAP sought action against Rai for wearing his election symbol on his kurta, Joshi said, “For some people it (Rai wearing Congress symbol) may be a big thing. There is no big thing in that.”
“Who doesn’t know their (Congress) election symbol? Everybody takes hand with them, will you cut their hands? I feel that a party (BJP) which is winning with such a big margin should not look into these small things. It will not have an effect on a single vote,” he said.
The Election Commission has directed the Varanasi Returning Officer to file an FIR or complaint against Rai for displaying his party symbol and talking to media at a polling booth amounting to “canvassing” which is barred on the voting day.
Varanasi Returning Officer Pranjal Yadav said he has seen the video of Rai going inside the polling booth in Ramakant Nagar of Chetganj area wearing Congress’ election symbol.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“We have seen the video. We have informed the Special Election Observer and the higher authorities. Action would be taken immediately,” Yadav said.
Rai, along with his family members, this morning went to cast his vote wearing a badge of Congress election symbol ‘hand’ on his kurta.
He, however, defended his action, saying that he has the right to wear the symbol as a candidate.
Rai also claimed that the case against Narendra Modi cannot be compared with his action as the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate had shown his lotus symbol after casting vote in Gandhinagar.