- Kiran Bedi win: RSS says it’s kabaddi, hold breath
- Veteran’s work vs son-in-law’s youth
- Dense and dingy, yet women feel ‘safer’ in colony than outside
- ‘Always a third front man, so I joined Congress’
- AAP to send star campaigners to Sadar Bazaar, Krishna Nagar
- Senior BJP leader trying to put AAP in negative light: Arvind Kejriwal
- After Rahul word, concrete offer: Flats for slum dwellers
Murder accused shares dais with CM, arrested later
In an embarrassment for Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, a fugitive murder accused presided over his election rally and was arrested later, the police said on Saturday.
Javed Khan, former councillor of Gaya Municipality, against whom an arrest warrant issued by a Gaya court was pending since December, presided over the election meeting of Kumar on Friday.
The warrant was issued in connection with the murder of a property dealer Naushad Khan in April last year. After the rally, when a hue and cry was raised about a fugitive sharing dais with the CM, the police came into action and arrested him later in the evening.
Khan, whom the Chief Minister also addressed during his speech, was produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate K K Singh who sent him to 14 days judicial custody. The incident provided the opposition an opportunity to target the ruling party.
Senior BJP leader and party candidate from Nawada Giriraj Singh said it raises a question mark on the law and order situation in the state. Senior minister Vijay Chaudhary, however, defended the government saying the moment the incident came to light he was arrested and sen to jail which shows the government’s commitment to deal promptly with lawbreakers.