In remarks that sparked outrage on Thursday, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav opposed capital punishment for rape, saying “ladke, ladke hain… galti ho jati hai (boys will be boys… they commit mistakes).”
Addressing a rally in Moradabad, he said, “Ladkiyan pehle dosti karti hain. Ladke-ladki mein matbhed ho jata hai. Matbhed hone key baad usey rape ka naam dey deti hain. Ladko sey galti ho jati hai. Kya rape case mein phasi di jayegi? (First girls develop friendship with boys. They when differences occur, they level rape charges. Boys commit mistakes. Will they be hanged for rape).”
Mulayam said his government would try to change such anti-rape laws. “Those who level false allegations will also be punished… In Mumbai also, the rape accused have been sentenced to be hanged,” he said, referring to the Shakti Mills case.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Earlier too, Mulayam had criticised the amended anti-rape laws. In its poll manifesto also, the SP has promised to check the misuse of stringent measures in the anti-rape law. The manifesto mentions that SP MPs had voiced their concern about their possible misuse.
Mulayam said it would be unfortunate if Modi becomes PM as he could not protect women during the 2002 riots.
Mulayam triggered yet another controversy with his rape remarks.
Waiting when Mulayam’s rape remarks will be endorsed by Azam’s secular buffaloes, then it shall be a law in his territory.
— Ashutosh (@ashutosh083B) April 10, 2014
They defend rapists. Mamata di says ‘sometimes boys become naughty.’ Mulayam ji says ‘sometimes boys make mistakes’.
— taslima nasreen (@taslimanasreen) April 10, 2014