In remarks that sparked outrage on Thursday, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav opposed capital punishment for rape, saying “ladke, ladke hain… galti ho jati hai (boys will be boys… they commit mistakes).”
Addressing a rally in Moradabad, he said, “Ladkiyan pehle dosti karti hain. Ladke-ladki mein matbhed ho jata hai. Matbhed hone key baad usey rape ka naam dey deti hain. Ladko sey galti ho jati hai. Kya rape case mein phasi di jayegi? (First girls develop friendship with boys. They when differences occur, they level rape charges. Boys commit mistakes. Will they be hanged for rape).”
Mulayam said his government would try to change such anti-rape laws. “Those who level false allegations will also be punished… In Mumbai also, the rape accused have been sentenced to be hanged,” he said, referring to the Shakti Mills case.
Earlier too, Mulayam had criticised the amended anti-rape laws. In its poll manifesto also, the SP has promised to check the misuse of stringent measures in the anti-rape law. The manifesto mentions that SP MPs had voiced their concern about their possible misuse.
Mulayam said it would be unfortunate if Modi becomes PM as he could not protect women during the 2002 riots.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Mulayam triggered yet another controversy with his rape remarks.
Waiting when Mulayam’s rape remarks will be endorsed by Azam’s secular buffaloes, then it shall be a law in his territory.
— Ashutosh (@ashutosh083B) April 10, 2014
They defend rapists. Mamata di says ‘sometimes boys become naughty.’ Mulayam ji says ‘sometimes boys make mistakes’.
— taslima nasreen (@taslimanasreen) April 10, 2014