On Tuesday, prime minister-elect Narendra Modi singled out Premalatha Vijayakant for praise, saying, “Kya kaam kiya isne (What a great job).” Not many at Central Hall would have recognised her as DMDK founder Vijayakant’s wife. But Premalatha and her brother L K Sudhish, the party’s youth wing leader, are the de facto decision makers in the party, formed in 2005, and are said to influence Vijayakant’s decisions.
Though the party failed to win any of the 14 seats it contested, Modi knew DMDK was the only one in the seven-party alliance whose leaders had campaigned in all 39 constituencies of Tamil Nadu. In a party where the leader is inaccessible to the media, it was Premalatha who gave the first indication that the DMDK would not align with the DMK, despite the wooing. She interviewed potential candidates, and was key to Vijayakant eventually choosing to go with the BJP-led NDA, which in turn helped the national party win its only seat from Tamil Nadu: Kanyakumari, which elected Pon Radhakrishnan.
Over the past four elections, Premalatha has emerged one of the party’s leading campaigners. Her speeches are as irreverent as his husband’s, but more structured. To the party cadre, Vijayakant is ‘Captain’ (after a film role) and she is ‘anni’ or elder sister whom they see in person more often than him. Crisscrossing the state, she sold the idea of Modi, promising them a government under him would solve their water and power problems.
None of the 14 candidates the DMDK put up, including Premalatha’s brother Sudhish from Salem, were able to win. In fact, none of them even came second. However, this is unlikely to dampen the BJP’s relationship with the DMDK, going by Modi’s effusive praise of Premalatha and also the bonhomie he displayed with Vijayakant at the NDA meeting.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest