THE Congress on Saturday submitted a petition to the Election Commission, requesting it to monitor and video-record campaign-related activities of persons and organisations that are religious in nature and “use religious sentiments of people” for electoral gains.
“It is no secret that Mr. Modi is a diehard RSS pracharak and the manner in which all religious institutions and persons are involved in the election campaign… is a gross violation of the Constitution of India and the provisions of MCC,” the petition said.
The Congress demanded the poll panel to monitor and check in each constituency, the “activities and movements, relating to election campaign by all such persons/organisations/groups/associations”. The petition appreciated the EC’s decision to ban BJP leader Amit Shah and SP leader Azam Khan from addressing public meetings for making inflammatory speeches.
In addition, the petition demanded that activities that “arouse religious or community feeling to seek vote or campaign in the name of religion, caste or community, directly or indirectly” be booked under relevant laws and be “banned”. “Special observers, in each constituency may be deputed to ascertain the actual expenditure incurred by the office bearers, Leaders, Saints, Guru, Acharya and people holding posts of similar nature,” it said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review