THE Congress on Saturday submitted a petition to the Election Commission, requesting it to monitor and video-record campaign-related activities of persons and organisations that are religious in nature and “use religious sentiments of people” for electoral gains.
“It is no secret that Mr. Modi is a diehard RSS pracharak and the manner in which all religious institutions and persons are involved in the election campaign… is a gross violation of the Constitution of India and the provisions of MCC,” the petition said.
The Congress demanded the poll panel to monitor and check in each constituency, the “activities and movements, relating to election campaign by all such persons/organisations/groups/associations”. The petition appreciated the EC’s decision to ban BJP leader Amit Shah and SP leader Azam Khan from addressing public meetings for making inflammatory speeches.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
In addition, the petition demanded that activities that “arouse religious or community feeling to seek vote or campaign in the name of religion, caste or community, directly or indirectly” be booked under relevant laws and be “banned”. “Special observers, in each constituency may be deputed to ascertain the actual expenditure incurred by the office bearers, Leaders, Saints, Guru, Acharya and people holding posts of similar nature,” it said.