Defence Minister A K Antony on Saturday hit back at BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, saying his recent “A K-47” comment was against national interest.
Addressing the media here, Antony said Modi’s comment would indirectly help the enemy country. “No true nationalist can make such a comment. It would demoralise the security forces of the country. Political leaders should not make such observations for cheap popularity,’’ said Antony.
Attacking Antony over his statement made in Parliament last year when Pakistani army men had intruded into Mendhar sector in Jammu and Kashmir and killed two Indian soldiers, Modi had told a poll rally in Jammu that three AKs – A K 47, A K Antony and AK 49 (Arvind Kejriwal), had emerged as Pakistan commanders on the Indian side.
“One is AK-47 which has been used to cause bloodshed in Kashmir. The second is A K Antony, who informs the Parliament that people who beheaded Indian soldiers were wearing the Pakistan army dress, while our army said Pakistanis had come,” said Modi.
“And, the third AK is AK-49 who has just given birth to a new party” – a reference to Kejriwal’s 49-day stint in Delhi.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
While initially Antony refused to comment on Modi’s remarks, when probed by journalists he said, ” Is it justified when a leader touted as the next prime minister of the country makes such a comment?”
Antony rejected the criticism that defence preparedness had slackened since he took over the ministry and said modernisation of forces and procurement of equipment had continued. This included induction of maximum number of platforms in the Navy and new weapons for the Army for which funds had been a constraint.