Uttar Pradesh is heading for a weekend of rallies that will involve the top leaders of the BJP, the Congress and the AAP, apart from the state’s own Samajwadi Party and BSP. The rallies will be put up on LED screens, telecast live on the parties’ websites, and filmed by crews from Mumbai.
Rahul Gandhi will formally launch his election campaign in UP Friday. Strategically, the Congress has included a visit to the dargah of sufi saint Haji Waris Ali Shah at Dewa in Barabanki and a darshan at Kashi Vishwanath temple in Varanasi. The programme includes a road show from Dewa to Lucknow, nearly 40 km, chaupals with anganwadi workers and midday meal cooks in Lucknow, and one with rickshaw pullers in Varanasi. The two-day schedule concludes with a Sadbhavna Youth Rally in Mirzapur Saturday.
Narendra Modi will address a Vijay Shankhnad Maha Rally at Ramabai Ambedkar Maidan in Lucknow Sunday. His UP campaign has already seen seven rallies and the BJP claims to have mobilised nearly 15 lakh workers for Lucknow, more than the ground can accommodate. The party has booked 29 trains, including seven from Gorakhpur region.
The Samajwadi Party, trying to project itself as the main opponent to the BJP, has announced a Desh Banao Desh Bachao rally at Allahabad Sunday. It will be fourth time a Mulayam Singh Yadav rally will coincide with one of Modi in UP, and the 10th for Mulayam since October 29 in Azamgarh. “Our previous rallies have outnumbered Modi’s in crowd strength. The Allahabad rally will break all records,” says Rajendra Choudhary, SP state spokesperson.
BJP spokesperson Chandra Mohan, for his part, mocks the SP rally: “They misuse government machinery while in our rally people come of their own. There is no competition.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The AAP rally is at Rail Bazar Ground in Kanpur Sunday, with Arvind Kejriwal. A 500 km road show from Delhi will take him to Kanpur. The party has seven candidates in UP.
Aruna Singh, Awadh zone convener for the AAP, alleges there is tacit understanding between Mulayam and Modi for polarising votes on religious lines. “It will be the best time for us. All three rallies will be evaluated by people. We engage in issue-based politics and Kejriwal will expose the nexus of communalism among (other) political parties,” she says.
The BSP, having organised a large rally in Lucknow on January 15, will now focus on public meetings at local level. General secretary Satish Chandra Mishra is crisscrossing the state and will address a public meeting in Bahraich Saturday.