With the portrait of Lord Ram providing the backdrop, Narendra Modi on Monday asked people “living” in the birthplace of the Hindu deity to teach Congress and those who support it a lesson for not fulfilling electoral promises.
Later in the day, the Election Commission sought report from Faizabad district magistrate on Narendra Modi’s speech and stage backdrop.
Modi skirted any reference to his party’s pet theme of building Ram temple at the disputed site in Ayodhya, which is part of the district and epicentre of Ram Mandir movement, but made several references to Lord Ram to exhort people to defeat Congress, SP and BSP and support BJP.
“This is the land of Lord Ram where people believed in ‘pran jaye par vachan na jaye’ (one may lose life but cannot break promise). Can you pardon those who broke their promises?,” the BJP prime ministerial candidate said a rally, referring to the ruling party’s unfulfilled promise of providing 10 crore jobs to people.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He also took on SP, which is in power in UP, and Mayawati-led BSP, saying they are enemies in Lucknow but friends in Delhi.
“They save the government of ‘maa-beta (Sonia-Rahul)’. The Congress saves them from CBI. It protects netaji (Mulayam Singh Yadav) from CBI. They believe in you scratch my back, I scratch yours.
“I, from this land of Lord Ram, promise you that I will fight corruption my whole life. Where do I get the strength to speak this? I have lived this my whole life,” he said.
The SP and BSP governments spend their time in settling scores with each other. “Law and order is so bad that people prefer buying guns to providing medical care to their parents and good education to their children,” he said.
Modi urged people to elect as many BJP candidates in UP as they can as it was necessary for a strong government at the Centre. UP has 80 Lok Sabha seats.
Reminding people of the “weak” UPA government, he said people are not happy if their local police official is supine and nor are students happy if their teacher is not effective.
“How can then a country of 125 cr people be happy if their government is weak. Do you a limp government? You choose BJP candidates from all 80 seats in UP and I will give you a strong India,” he said.
Touching on his upbringing in a poor family, he tried to touch a chord with the people of the largely impoverished state, saying he knew what poverty was and would do everything in his capacity to help them come out of it.
As Modi spoke, chants of ‘Jai Shri Ram’ came from the audience.