A day after Chief Justice of India R M Lodha disapproved of the NDA government’s move to reject the candidature of former solicitor general Gopal Subramanium as Supreme Court judge, the Congress on Wednesday hit out at the government saying Subramanium’s only crime was to act as amicus curiae in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
The Congress was also disappointed with Subramanium for “hastily” withdrawing his candidature. “But for the som-ewhat hasty act of Subramani-um withdrawing his candidature, the government would have had more egg on its face it already has. And perhaps Subramanium’s hasty withdrawal has saved the government some embarrassments,” Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said.
“There is no doubt in the nation’s mind that the only sin committed by Subramanium is his sin to act as amicus curiae in a matter which led to adverse reports about Modi and Gujarat. All other reasons are a fig leaf of pretenses. The IB has found nothing against him and the government’s action smacks of nothing but pettiness,” Singhvi said. He said the issue was not just about an individual. “The issue is the clear usurpation by the Modi government of the right to select or refuse to select judges. The CJI has used the language of studied moderation in his condemnation of the government’s conduct,” he said. Attacking Modi, the Congress said the move was “a serious assault on the independence of judiciary.” It reflects “vendetta politics, intolerance to opposing view points and breach of constitutional norms,” he said.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
The government showed that the “man with the 56-inch chest and elephantine memory neither forgets nor forgives”.