A day after Chief Justice of India R M Lodha disapproved of the NDA government’s move to reject the candidature of former solicitor general Gopal Subramanium as Supreme Court judge, the Congress on Wednesday hit out at the government saying Subramanium’s only crime was to act as amicus curiae in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
The Congress was also disappointed with Subramanium for “hastily” withdrawing his candidature. “But for the som-ewhat hasty act of Subramani-um withdrawing his candidature, the government would have had more egg on its face it already has. And perhaps Subramanium’s hasty withdrawal has saved the government some embarrassments,” Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said.
“There is no doubt in the nation’s mind that the only sin committed by Subramanium is his sin to act as amicus curiae in a matter which led to adverse reports about Modi and Gujarat. All other reasons are a fig leaf of pretenses. The IB has found nothing against him and the government’s action smacks of nothing but pettiness,” Singhvi said. He said the issue was not just about an individual. “The issue is the clear usurpation by the Modi government of the right to select or refuse to select judges. The CJI has used the language of studied moderation in his condemnation of the government’s conduct,” he said. Attacking Modi, the Congress said the move was “a serious assault on the independence of judiciary.” It reflects “vendetta politics, intolerance to opposing view points and breach of constitutional norms,” he said.
The government showed that the “man with the 56-inch chest and elephantine memory neither forgets nor forgives”.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More