In the first secretary-level appointments by the Narendra Modi government, Rakesh Garg was on Sunday named the new Telecom Secretary while Jugal Kishore Mohapatra is to be Secretary in the fertilizers ministry.
Ahead of his departure for Brazil for the BRICS summit, Prime Minister Modi cleared fresh appointments for various ministries.
According to the official order, Garg, a 1980-batch Uttar Pradesh-cadre officer, was appointed the new Telecom Secretary.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The vacancy for the post was created after MF Farooqui had superannuated. Garg was on central deputation till 2012 and returns to the Centre after serving in various capacities, including as Principle Secretary to UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Sanjay Kothari, a 1978-batch IAS officer from Haryana, has been appointed as the new Secretary in the Department of Personnel and Training. He will take over from SK Sarkar, who retires on July 31.
Kothari was serving as Secretary of Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances and Secretary, Department of Pensions and Pensioners’ Welfare. This will be looked after now by N Ravi Shanker, a 1980-batch IAS officer from Uttarakhand. He was Administrator of Universal Service Obligation Fund in the Department of Telecommunications.
Chief Secretary of Odisha, Jugal Kishore Mohapatra, a 1979 -batch Odisha cadre IAS officer, has been appointed as Secretary in the Department of Fertilizers, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers. He replaces Shaktikanta Das, a 1980-batch IAS officer from Tamil Nadu who has been appointed as Revenue Secretary.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by the Prime Minister also cleared the appointment of Enforcement Director Rajan S Katoch as Secretary in the Department of Heavy Industry. He will, however, continue to hold the post of ED chief for a period of six months or till a regular incumbent is named to the post of Enforcement Director.
Katoch, a 1979-batch IAS officer of Madhya Pradesh cadre, will take over his new assignment after the present incumbent, Sutanu Behuria, retires on July 31.