The “Modi wave” appeared to have arrived in Assam with record turnouts in all his three rallies in the state on Monday. As crowd — with impressive numbers of Muslims, tribals and tea garden labourers — cheered him, Narendra Modi trained guns at Congress over graft and accused it of “haath ki safai (pick-pocketing)”.
Compared to rallies by the BJP’s PM nominee, there were thinner crowds at the poll meetings by top Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Manmohan Singh over the weekend in the same three constituencies.
“I have not seen such a large crowd at this Durbar Field in any political rally,” said Nazimuddin Ahmed, 57, who lives just across the rally ground here. Jorhat Lok Sabha constituency, under which Sivasagar falls, has been traditionally with Congress except for once.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Bolstered by the crowd, Modi launched attack on the Centre. “The people have already decided to punish those who have looted their money. And none of those will be able to escape.” He addressed rallies in Biswnath Chariali (Tezpur LS), Gogamukh (Lakhimpur LS) and Sivasagar (Jorhat LS) — all three seats currently held by Congress. Continuing BJP’s tirade against corruption, he recalled Rajiv Gandhi’s statement that every Rupee spent by the government, only 15 paise reaches its intended recipients. Modi said, “They (Congress) first fold their hands, then hold yours, and finally start ‘haath ki safai’… There is neither neta (leader), nor niti (policy), nor niyat (intent) in this country.”
In Arunachal, he attacks Sonia on marines issue
Itanagar: Hitting back at Sonia Gandhi over her patriotism jibe, Narendra Modi on Monday said that people of the country did not need a certificate from the Congress president and attacked her over the Italian marines issue, questioning at whose behest they were given a chance to leave the country. Taking potshots at the Congress chief, the BJP prime ministerial candidate referred to her remarks on Sunday that “some people were beating drums of patriotism” and asked “Who was it? At whose behest?” the marines were allowed to leave India. PTI