The “Modi wave” appeared to have arrived in Assam with record turnouts in all his three rallies in the state on Monday. As crowd — with impressive numbers of Muslims, tribals and tea garden labourers — cheered him, Narendra Modi trained guns at Congress over graft and accused it of “haath ki safai (pick-pocketing)”.
Compared to rallies by the BJP’s PM nominee, there were thinner crowds at the poll meetings by top Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Manmohan Singh over the weekend in the same three constituencies.
“I have not seen such a large crowd at this Durbar Field in any political rally,” said Nazimuddin Ahmed, 57, who lives just across the rally ground here. Jorhat Lok Sabha constituency, under which Sivasagar falls, has been traditionally with Congress except for once.
Bolstered by the crowd, Modi launched attack on the Centre. “The people have already decided to punish those who have looted their money. And none of those will be able to escape.” He addressed rallies in Biswnath Chariali (Tezpur LS), Gogamukh (Lakhimpur LS) and Sivasagar (Jorhat LS) — all three seats currently held by Congress. Continuing BJP’s tirade against corruption, he recalled Rajiv Gandhi’s statement that every Rupee spent by the government, only 15 paise reaches its intended recipients. Modi said, “They (Congress) first fold their hands, then hold yours, and finally start ‘haath ki safai’… There is neither neta (leader), nor niti (policy), nor niyat (intent) in this country.”
In Arunachal, he attacks Sonia on marines issue
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Itanagar: Hitting back at Sonia Gandhi over her patriotism jibe, Narendra Modi on Monday said that people of the country did not need a certificate from the Congress president and attacked her over the Italian marines issue, questioning at whose behest they were given a chance to leave the country. Taking potshots at the Congress chief, the BJP prime ministerial candidate referred to her remarks on Sunday that “some people were beating drums of patriotism” and asked “Who was it? At whose behest?” the marines were allowed to leave India. PTI