Facing imminent arrest for his alleged hate speech, BJP leader Giriraj Singh on Thursday applied for anticipatory bail in the district court here hours after a joint team of Bihar and Jharkhand police raided his house to arrest him.
He filed the anticipatory bail plea in the court of district judge Virendra Kumar who listed the matter for hearing on Friday.
Singh has sought anticipatory bail in connection with an FIR lodged against him at the Airport police station here on
April 21 under provisions of the Representation of Peoples Act, 1950 and Indian Penal Code(IPC).
The FIR against him was lodged by a district officer on the direction of the Election Commission which had taken note of his statement defending his controversial remarks in Jharkhand that those who opposed Narendra Modi should go to Pakistan.
Singh, a former minister in the Nitish Kumar government, had made the controversial remark during an election meeting in Jharkhand’s Deoghar district on April 19.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He had also said that the Centre was giving subsidy for export of beef while taxing those who reared cows. Two FIRs were lodged against him at Deogarh and Bokaro in Jharkhand for the comments and the one in Patna at the behest of the Election Commission, which barred him from campaigning in the two states.
The BJP leader on Wednesday said he will surrender before a court either in Bihar or in Jharkhand on Thursday.