- The Big Picture: What’s AAP
- A year later, the tweak: Desh to Dilli
- Bus from Burari laden with volunteers and hope
- Rare day out for AAP families
- Riot of support for AAP in communal hot spots
- Hunt on for CM house, will not accept Z-plus security
- No word from high command, Delhi Congress in a paralysis
- Latest News
- Second time at Ramlila Maidan: Hope overrides their doubts
- Kejriwal has no portfolio, will keep an eye on others
- In sea of white caps, BJP troika plans to be ‘forceful opposition’
- MP, MLA see Punjab as the next AAP stop
- A year later, the tweak: Desh to Dilli
- Arvind Kejriwal repeats his advice to sting the corrupt, asks police to act against ‘goondagardi’
- Proud that one of our volunteers has become Delhi CM: Anna Hazare
- Arvind Kejriwal not to keep any portfolio
- Now an Aam Aadmi Party Cola by beverage-maker inspired by Arvind Kejriwal’s party
- New chief minister Arvind Kejriwal holds meetings at Delhi Secretariat
- Cong’s Ajay Maken blames Sheila Dikshit for Delhi polls debacle
- Left, right, AAP
Mercs, BMWs, Audis hot favourites of Indian politicians
Wealthy Indian politicians prefer nothing less than Mercedes, BMWs, Jaguars, Audis or gas-guzzling SUVs to scorch the road.
While marquee brands like Mercedes, BMWs and Jaguars appear to be hot-favourites for the rich and mighty, home- grown SUVs like Scorpios and Tata Safaris are among other common brands.
Lawyer by profession and BJP candidate from Amritsar, Arun Jaitley owns a Mercedes, BMW, Honda Accord and Porsche. Besides, the legal eagle — who reported a total income of Rs 2.61 crore in 2012-13 fiscal — has a Toyota Fortuner, his poll affidavit shows.
Another BJP member, Bhojpuri film star Manoj Tiwari, who contested from North East Delhi seat, has a fleet of cars, including Audi Q7, Mercedez Benz E280, Fortuner and Honda City GXI.
Bollywood actor-turned-politician Hema Malini, BJP candidate from Mathura, owns a Mercedes and Toyota Innova while her husband, superstar Dharmendra, has a Range Rover, Maruti 800 and a motorbike in his name.
Sitting Nagaur MP, Congress’s Jyoti Mirdha, the richest woman in the first phase of polls from Rajasthan, is also a proud Merc owner. Haryana Janhit Congress party chief Kuldeep Bishnoi owns five cars, including a Jaguar XF, an Audi Q7 and a Range Rover.
Former cricketer Mohd Azharuddin, who is contesting polls on a Congress ticket from Tonk-Sawai Madhopur, owns a Honda CR-V and a BMW 650i.
BJP contestant from Bellary (Karnataka) B Sreeramulu is one of the few politicians to own the iconic Hummer in India. Another BJP leader, Meenakshi Lekhi has not listed any vehicle in her name, but has declared Jaguar, BMW, Beetle and Chevrolet cars in her husband’s name. Her husband, Aman Lekhi, is a lawyer by profession.
Union minister Jyotiraditya Scindia has a BMW, which he inherited. Actress Gul Panag, the AAP candidate from Chandigarh, has got a TVS moped as also a Hero Honda bike, along with a Scorpio, an Audi and an Innova. Panag’s rival Kirron Kher (BJP) has listed a Mercedes Benz in her name, as also a Scorpio and a BMW in her husband’s name. The Congress MP from this seat, Pawan Bansal has got a Maruti Esteem and a Honda City.
Realty baron Anil Kumar Sharma, who is eyeing the Jahanabad seat in Bihar on a JD(U) ticket, has declared he owns a Ford Endeavour. One of the richest candidates, R Prabhakara Reddy, who is hoping to win the Bangalore Rural constituency on behalf of JD(S), has declared nine motor vehicles. Besides a Maruti 800 and Mahindra Jeep, he owns two Mercs, a Hyundai Santro, a Hyundai Accent, Skoda Rider and a BMW.
He also possesses a Royal Enfield Bullet. Abhijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee, who is seeking re-election from Jangipur, West Bengal, has listed a Maruti-800 car in his affidavit. AAP leader Shazia Ilmi has listed one yacht in her husband’s name. Congress leader Krishna Tirath from Delhi has got a humble WagonR.
Meanwhile, Sandeep Dikshit, a sitting MP and son of former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, has got a Nissan Micra, two continued…