The Gujarat High Court rejected the petition of Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) seeking stay on the bail order granted to former BJP minister Maya Kodnani on Wednesday. The court rejected the petition since the bail order had already been executed by the time the matter came up for the hearing.
When asked whether the SIT got late for filing the petition senior lawyer Prashant Desai denied it and said the petition was filed at 11:30 AM. According to sources at Sabarmati Central Jail Kodnani was released from the jail at 1:30 in the afternoon.
Desai said that this is not the end of the road and SIT can challenge the order in the Supreme Court. However, he said the decision in this regard has to be taken by the state government.
On Wednesday the High Court granted bail to Kodnani, 59, a gynecologist and women and child development minister in the former Narendra Modi government. She was one of the 32 persons convicted in the massacre, and also faces a criminal trial in the 2002 Naroda Gam massacre case.
She is the first convict to have been released in the Naroda Patiya case.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016