Kumar Vishwas, Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) probable candidate against Rahul Gandhi in the Lok Sabha elections, escaped an egg thrown at him during a press conference in Lucknow Saturday. The youth, identified as Saif Jafri and aged about 24 years, claimed to be a member of Mulayam Singh Youth Brigade.
Around 30 minutes into the press conference, Jafri disrupted the conference, yelling “Kumar Vishwas murdabad, Kumar Viskwas murdabad, Kumar Vishwas rajneeti karne layak nahi hain, aap dharmon ka apman karte hain (Down with Kumar Vishwas, he is not worthy of politics, you (Kumar) disrespect religions).”
Jafri was also carrying a pamphlet that read “(Hazrat) Imam Hussain aur Bhagwan Shiv ka apman nahi sahenge. Kumar Vishwas murdabad. (We won’t bear disrespect to Hazrat Imam Hussain and Lord Shiva. Down with Kumar Vishwas).” Jafri was referring to allegedly objectionable comments made by Kumar during his mushairas earlier. Kumar had recently apologised for the comments. As AAP workers tried to stop the youth, he managed to hurl an egg at Kumar. However, the egg was dodged by an AAP worker.
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
Later, talking to television channels, Jafri claimed he belongs to Mulayam Singh Youth Brigade, which is one among Samajwadi Party’s four official frontal organisations for youth.
Five minutes after the disruption, Kumar reminded everyone that ink was thrown at Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. “If all these four parties (Congress, BJP, SP, BSP) think that they can win elections by hurling eggs and ink at AAP’s press conferences, then I would have to say that they haven’t learnt their lesson from Delhi.”
Kumar then “announced” that now “we will win Amethi with more votes”.
Kumar had called the press conference to brief about his Sunday’s Jan Vishwas Rally in Amethi. Kumar said through the rally, the party will target corruption and nepotism. Kumar also said unless he is called by the party, he will stay in Amethi till the elections “or till his death”.
Meanwhile, when asked about Jafri’s claim of being a member of Mulayam Youth brigade, SP spokesperson and cabinet minister Rajendra Chaudhary said he was not aware of the incident, adding, “I don’t think he (Jafri) is a prominent member of the party.” He also said he doesn’t consider such protests “appropriate.”