West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced on Saturday the nomination of veteran Bollywood actor Mithun Chakraborty as her party Trinamool Congress candidate for the upcoming Rajya Sabha election in the state.
“In our state, five Rajya Sabha members will be elected this time. One of these seats will be given to Mithun Chakraborty from All India Trinamool Congress,” Banerjee said in a post on social-networking website, Facebook.
Chakraborty, she said, is a well-known film personality and has devoted his life to the cause of cultural and social activities with great success.
“He is an asset not only of West Bengal, but also of the entire country. We are proud to nominate him,” Banerjee said.
Five Rajya Sabha seats will be falling vacant in West Bengal in April for which election will be held on February 7.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Chakraborty has cordial relations with the TMC chief and was invited at the inauguration of Kolkata International Film Festival in its last two editions.
The party is yet to announce the name of its other candidates.