West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced on Saturday the nomination of veteran Bollywood actor Mithun Chakraborty as her party Trinamool Congress candidate for the upcoming Rajya Sabha election in the state.
“In our state, five Rajya Sabha members will be elected this time. One of these seats will be given to Mithun Chakraborty from All India Trinamool Congress,” Banerjee said in a post on social-networking website, Facebook.
Chakraborty, she said, is a well-known film personality and has devoted his life to the cause of cultural and social activities with great success.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“He is an asset not only of West Bengal, but also of the entire country. We are proud to nominate him,” Banerjee said.
Five Rajya Sabha seats will be falling vacant in West Bengal in April for which election will be held on February 7.
Chakraborty has cordial relations with the TMC chief and was invited at the inauguration of Kolkata International Film Festival in its last two editions.
The party is yet to announce the name of its other candidates.