Mamata Banerjee on Friday hit out at the UPA government for “messing up” the Telangana issue and said the move to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh before the Lok Sabha election by the outgoing government, which had already been rejected by people, was not acceptable.
Describing the decision to create Telangana state as one guided by election arithmetic only, Mamata Banerjee, the Chief Minister of West Bengal, said the central government had been mired in a mess-up.
“Those who are rejected by the people, howsoever they may try to deceive the people, will not be acceptable. By trying to create Telangana, they have only got mired in a mess-up. Who is saying what I fail to understand,” she said.
Banerjee was referring to Thursday’s unprecedented pandemonium in the Lok Sabha marked by fisticuffs and pepper spraying during the tabling of the Telengana Bill while speaking at a state government-sponsored programme “Mati Utsav” here in Burdwan district.
She said that the Centre’s move just before the election would not be acceptable to the people and added that “acceptability does not come before the election. It has to be secured every day, every minute and every second. This is called accountability”.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
She flaunted her government’s success in maintaining peace in Darjeeling hills which saw a prolonged unrest over the demand for creation of a separate state of Gorkhaland. She also cited restoration of peace in the former Maoist stronghold of Jangalamahal and said the twin successes were now a model before the country.
“To achieve this, there was no need to fight with each other or spray on eyes or resort to throwing chairs. It has to be done with love and intelligence. You have to keep that in mind,” she asserted. YSR Congress president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy and TDP chief Chandrababu Naidu had met Banerjee recently seeking her support against the bifurcation of Andhra Pradsh.
In the wake of the Centre’s decision to create Telengana, there was a resurgence of the Gorkhaland demand in West Bengal and the ruling Trinamool Congress had to marshall all its resources to stymie the agitation for now by getting the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha to join the hill council.
She had ruled out division of her state and issued a virtual challenge to GJM chief Bimal Gurung, who had since taken over as the Chief Executive of the Gorkha Territorial Adminsitration.