Dubbing as beginning of “imposition of Hindi”, the NDA Government’s reported directive to officials to give priority to the language in social media, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi should focus on economic growth and social development.
“Giving priority to Hindi will be construed as a first step towards attempt at creating differences among non-Hindi speaking people and making them second class citizens,” the 90-year old leader, whose party spearheaded the anti-Hindi agitation in the 1960s in the state, said in a statement here.
Reacting to media reports that officials of all Union ministries, departments, corporations, or banks, who have official accounts in social media, should use Hindi, or both Hindi and English but give priority to Hindi, Karunanidhi questioned why Hindi should be given priority over other languages listed in the Eighth Schedule of Constitution.
Recalling decades-long history of opposing Hindi impostion and his party’s role in it, Karunanidhi said at a time when the aspirations of a diverse section of people needs to be addressed through constructive efforts, showing interest in a language for communication would become diversionary.
“It is the desire and appeal of all well wishers of the nation that Prime Minister Modi should focus on accelerating economic growth and social development.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More