Dubbing as beginning of “imposition of Hindi”, the NDA Government’s reported directive to officials to give priority to the language in social media, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi should focus on economic growth and social development.
“Giving priority to Hindi will be construed as a first step towards attempt at creating differences among non-Hindi speaking people and making them second class citizens,” the 90-year old leader, whose party spearheaded the anti-Hindi agitation in the 1960s in the state, said in a statement here.
Reacting to media reports that officials of all Union ministries, departments, corporations, or banks, who have official accounts in social media, should use Hindi, or both Hindi and English but give priority to Hindi, Karunanidhi questioned why Hindi should be given priority over other languages listed in the Eighth Schedule of Constitution.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Recalling decades-long history of opposing Hindi impostion and his party’s role in it, Karunanidhi said at a time when the aspirations of a diverse section of people needs to be addressed through constructive efforts, showing interest in a language for communication would become diversionary.
“It is the desire and appeal of all well wishers of the nation that Prime Minister Modi should focus on accelerating economic growth and social development.”