Congress’ city unit chief Narendra Rawat will take on Narendra Modi in Vadodara Lok Sabha constituency but the party is still undecided on a nominee to be fielded against the Bharatiya Janata Party’s prime ministerial candidate in Varanasi.
Rawat has emerged as the party candidate in Vadodara after the primaries held for the seat, party spokesman Shaktisinh Gohil said on Friday.
Congress has declared that it will give a tough fight to Modi both in Varanasi and Vadodara.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
It has, however, refused to specify who will be the nominee in Varanasi, saying at least three candidates have been shortlisted.
Meanwhile, a former Congress MP J K Jain suggested that senior leader Karan Singh would be the ideal candidate to take on Modi in Varanasi since Singh is a scholar, well versed in the Hindu ancient scriptures and had been associated with the Benaras Hindu University.
Party General Secretary Madhusudan Mistry had said a few days back that the Congress will give a “good fight” to Modi on Varanasi seat and did not rule out fielding an ‘outsider’.
Among the local candidates, the names of Rajesh Mishra and Ajay Rai are doing the rounds. A section in the Congress wants an influential leader pitched against Modi, while others want a celebrity to be fielded against him.
A section feels that after the exit of BJP veteran Murli Manohar Joshi from the electoral contest from the holy city, fielding a Brahmin candidate by Congress could be advantageous.
Senior Congress leader Anil Shastri in a tweet had said “If BSP & SP are serious on defeating Modi from Varanasi, they along with Congress should put up a joint candidate against him”.