Concerned over the spate of rapes and killings in Uttar Pradesh, Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju on Thursday said that the Centre was closely watching the situation but pointed out that law and order was primarily the state government’s responsibility.
If such incidents have taken place in UP, it means there is some problems in the state and the state government must ponder over it, Rijiju said.
“It is a matter of concern if incidents of violence have taken place in any state. (But) we will not interfere in it as law and order is a state subject,” he told reporters here.
The minister, however, said that if such cases are not checked, the central government would have to see what can be done.
“We can seek reports and guide them if necessary. Things are not going well in UP and the state government should attend to (the problem). We are on the ground and keeping watch on everything,” he said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Rijiju was replying to questions regarding the murder of two BJP leaders and incidents of rape and killings in the recent past in Uttar Pradesh.