A day after BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi assured him rehabilitation, veteran BJP leader Lal Muni Chaubey on Saturday withdrew his nomination papers as an Independent candidate from Buxar Lok Sabha seat.
Accompanied by Buxar’s official BJP candidate Ashwani Kumar Chaube and others, Lal Muni Chaubey flew by a helicopter from Patna to Buxar and withdrew his candidature on the last date for withdrawal of nomination.
Later talking to reporters, the 71-year-old four-term MP from Buxar said he decided to withdraw his candidature after being assured by Modi that senior leaders like him who failed to get tickets would be suitably accommodated.
Modi also promised to carry forward legacies of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and senior BJP leader L K Advani, Chaubey said, adding that he decided to withdraw his candidature as he was not aspiring for a position.
Chaubey on Friday said he could not ignore Modi calling him twice in the past couple of days and expressing respect. He said he would campaign for Ashwani Kumar Chaube, the BJP’s official candidate, and ensure his victory. If the party required his services, he would campaign for Modi in Varanasi too, the veteran leader said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Chaubey had raised a banner of revolt against the BJP after being denied ticket from Buxar and filed nomination papers as an independent candidate. He had also come down heavily on BJP president Rajnath Singh questioning the process of selection of candidates in which senior leaders like him and Jaswant Singh were denied tickets.