Amid the unease in his ties with Narendra Modi, BJP veteran L K Advani has expressed desire to contest from Bhopal, shifting from Gandhinagar in Gujarat, which has represented five times in the Lok Sabha.
Advani is learnt to have informed party chief Rajnath Singh about his preference for Bhopal, sources said. The 86-year-old leader has argued that since most of the senior party leaders were giving their preferences of seats, he too should be allowed to make a choice.
Advani, who was the Deputy Prime Minister in the NDA government, has said he has no problems in contesting from Gandhinagar as such but was keen on contesting from Bhopal as he considered it a safer seat, the sources said.
The decision, however, has been left to the party. Significantly, Advani skipped today’s crucial meeting of Parliamentary Board here where senior party leaders including Singh and Modi are learnt to have discussed the issue.
The party is insisting that Advani should contest from Gandhinagar as his shifting of constituency will send “wrong signals”, the sources said. His desire to shift from Gandhinagar may be seen as a reflection of the unease in his relationship with Modi.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Advani is not in the best of terms with Modi after he opposed Gujarat Chief Minister’s anointment as BJP’s PM candidate recently. The sources said if the party decides to field Advani from Bhopal, Modi’s confidante and former state minister Amit Shah may be given ticket from Gandhinagar.
Meanwhile, sitting Bhopal MP and BJP veteran Kailash Joshi on Wednesday said he is not keen on contesting from the seat and he had offered the seat to the BJP patriarch.