Congress leaders in his home state Kerala have made public their reservations against fielding Shashi Tharoor for the elections.
On Sunday, senior Congress leader and convener of the United Democratic Front P P Thankachan said Tharoor would not be made a candidate if he is facing any case in connection with the death of Sunanda Pushkar.
Former party legislator George Mercier echoed Thankachan, saying Tharoor has to “prove his innocence”. “He should have been more vigilant not to get into controversies. The party does not face any dearth of suitable candidates in Thiruvananthapuram Lok Sabha seat. It was up to the party high command to decide on Tharoor’s candidature,” said Mercier.
The Union Minister of State for Human Resources had bagged the Thiruvananthapuram constituency in 2009 overriding opposition from the state unit of the party. While his candidature was announced, a section of Congress leaders had registered their protest by burning his effigy against the party high command decision.
Meanwhile, reacting to the debate on Tharoor’s candidature, Congress MP K Sudharan said those who were eyeing the Lok Sabha seat were behind the controversy.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review