Congress leaders in his home state Kerala have made public their reservations against fielding Shashi Tharoor for the elections.
On Sunday, senior Congress leader and convener of the United Democratic Front P P Thankachan said Tharoor would not be made a candidate if he is facing any case in connection with the death of Sunanda Pushkar.
Former party legislator George Mercier echoed Thankachan, saying Tharoor has to “prove his innocence”. “He should have been more vigilant not to get into controversies. The party does not face any dearth of suitable candidates in Thiruvananthapuram Lok Sabha seat. It was up to the party high command to decide on Tharoor’s candidature,” said Mercier.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The Union Minister of State for Human Resources had bagged the Thiruvananthapuram constituency in 2009 overriding opposition from the state unit of the party. While his candidature was announced, a section of Congress leaders had registered their protest by burning his effigy against the party high command decision.
Meanwhile, reacting to the debate on Tharoor’s candidature, Congress MP K Sudharan said those who were eyeing the Lok Sabha seat were behind the controversy.