The first session of the new Delhi Assembly began on Wednesday with the newly-elected MLAs taking oath and will continue till January 7 during which the Arvind Kejriwal-led government will seek a vote of confidence on the floor of the House.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal was first to take oath followed by Manish Sisodia and his other ministerial colleagues. Senior Congress MLA Mateen Ahmad,who is the pro-tem speaker,administered the oath of office and secrecy to the newly-elected MLAs.
The new AAP government will seek the trust vote on Thursday while election of the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker will be held on January 3.
Lt Governor Najeeb Jung will address the House on January 6. On January 7,a discussion on Jung’s address will take place.
In the 70-member assembly,AAP has 28 MLAs,eight short of a majority. AAP has the support of 8 MLAs of Congress,which is expected to see across the half-way mark. BJP has 31 members and its ally Akali Dal 1.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
AAP had named first-time MLA M S Dhir as its candidate for Speaker’s post.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had announced the name of senior Congress MLA Mateen Ahmad as the pro-tem speaker on Tuesday. A pro-tem Speaker presides over proceedings relating to taking of oath by new members and other business till the election of Speaker.
Senior BJP leader and MLA Jagdish Mukhi had on Tuesday night declined to be the pro-tem Speaker of Delhi Assembly.