The first session of the new Delhi Assembly began on Wednesday with the newly-elected MLAs taking oath and will continue till January 7 during which the Arvind Kejriwal-led government will seek a vote of confidence on the floor of the House.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal was first to take oath followed by Manish Sisodia and his other ministerial colleagues. Senior Congress MLA Mateen Ahmad,who is the pro-tem speaker,administered the oath of office and secrecy to the newly-elected MLAs.
The new AAP government will seek the trust vote on Thursday while election of the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker will be held on January 3.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Lt Governor Najeeb Jung will address the House on January 6. On January 7,a discussion on Jung’s address will take place.
In the 70-member assembly,AAP has 28 MLAs,eight short of a majority. AAP has the support of 8 MLAs of Congress,which is expected to see across the half-way mark. BJP has 31 members and its ally Akali Dal 1.
AAP had named first-time MLA M S Dhir as its candidate for Speaker’s post.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had announced the name of senior Congress MLA Mateen Ahmad as the pro-tem speaker on Tuesday. A pro-tem Speaker presides over proceedings relating to taking of oath by new members and other business till the election of Speaker.
Senior BJP leader and MLA Jagdish Mukhi had on Tuesday night declined to be the pro-tem Speaker of Delhi Assembly.