Aam Aadmi Party’s national convenor Arvind Kejriwal launched his party’s campaign for the 2017 Punjab elections at the Maghi Mela here Thursday with a scathing attack on the ruling SAD and the Badals. Emphasising that the father-son duo of Parkash and Sukhbir Badal has brought the state on the verge of ruin, he announced that the AAP will set up a judicial commission to look into their misdeeds if voted to power.
Raising the drugs issue, Kejriwal asked the cheering crowds who was responsible for the menace. The crowd took Revenue Minister Bikram Singh Majithia’s name, to which the Delhi CM said that people in the entire state knows that Majithia is to be blamed for the high rate of drug addiction in the state. “Yet, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has not sacked him from his Cabinet. You all vow on this pious land to defeat the Badals (and) I promise to put Majithia behind bars,” he said.
If AAP forms its Govt,compensation of Rs 1 cr will be given to families of 2 jawans frm Punjab who lost their lives in #Pathankot– Delhi CM
— ANI (@ANI_news) January 14, 2016
Taking the fight to the Congress, Kejriwal alleged that Punjab Congress president Capt Amarinder Singh has links with Majithia and if the Congress is voted to power he, too, will turn a blind eye to the drug menace, as Amarinder was opposed to his party’s demand for a CBI inquiry against Majithia.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- Arvind Kejriwal campaigns in Punjab: ‘Will probe 4 SAD ministers, jail them for farmer suicides’
- Arvind Kejriwal accuses Badal family, Amarinder Singh of 'looting' Punjab
- Actor Gurpreet Ghuggi, Bhagwant Mann on stage, Punjab AAP asks masses to set tune for ‘politics of change’
- Beware of Kejriwal, says Capt; Sukhbir asks people to make ‘topiwalas’ run away
- Top quotes of Kejriwal at Maghi Mela rally in Punjab
- In battle of rallies in Punjab, its AAP vs SAD vs Congress
Sporting a bright yellow turban, Kejriwal began his address with ‘Jo Bole So Nihal’. Addressing the predominantly rural crowd, Kejriwal said he will not let a single farmer commit suicide. “Farmers in Delhi were given a compensation of Rs 50,000 per hectare when they lost their crop. I did not let a single farmer commit suicide. Here, farmers are killing themselves as they are not compensated,” he said. He also said he would check corruption by sacking those seeking bribes — “Even if my son indulges in corruption, I will throw him out.”
About the recent incident of desecration, Kejriwal said, “I was hurt at the sacrilege. I vow to bring them (perpetrators) to book. I will order an SIT in the case.” He also announced an SIT to probe the 1984 anti-Sikh riots and called it a genocide. “For 30 years, governments have not been able to provide justice to Sikhs. When we came to power in Delhi, we paid the victims Rs 5 lakh each besides constituting an SIT,” he said.
Saying the CM has failed to set up a hospital for cancer and a train takes patients to Bikaner for treatment, Kejriwal said he will set up a cancer hospital and mohalla dispensaries, as has been done in Delhi. His promises include a grant of Rs 1 crore each to families of Pathankot attack martyrs.