K Sankaramma, mother of Telangana martyr K Srikant Chary, a 24-year-old student who immolated himself during Telangana agitation and died on December 4, 2009, is among 69 nominees in the first list of candidates released by the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) for Assembly constituencies on Friday.
Sankaramma will contest from Huzurnagar constituency in Nalgonda district. The self-immolation of her son, Srikant, a physiotherapy student in Hyderabad, ignited passions and gave momentum to the Telangana agitation. TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao (KCR) will contest from Gajwel in Medak district.
There are 119 Assembly constituencies in Telangana and elections commence from April 30. Putting to rest speculations that nominees for the remaining 50 seats have been withheld in case the need for an alliance arises, TRS chief K Chandrasekhara Rao reiterated that the party would contest alone without forming any alliance with any party.
“We have ruled out alliance and we stick to it. Nominees for the remaining seats would be announced shortly,” KCR said.
KCR’s son K T Rama Rao and nephew T Harish Rao have been renominated from Sircilla and Siddipet respectively. After a gap of 10 years, KCR would be contesting for Assembly. In 2004 he contested and won from Siddipet Assembly and also Karimnagar Lok Sabha. He vacated the Assembly seat for his nephew T Harish Rao. In 2009, KCR won from Mahbubnagar Lok Sabha. The nomination of former YSR Congress Party member Konda Surekha from Warangal (East) may cause consternation among other TRS aspirants.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Shakeel Ahmed from Bodhan is the lone Muslim candidate in the first list. Of the 69 candidates, 32 are OC, 16 BC, 14 SC, and 6 ST. All 17 sitting TRS MLAs have been renominated while eight MLAs of TDP and Congress who joined TRS have also been renominated. Dalit activist and Telangana Students and Osmania University Joint Action Committee head Pidamarthi Ravi has been given ticket to contest from Satupally, Khammam district.
KCR said, candidates for the remaining 50 Assembly and 17 Lok Sabha seats would be declared shortly. KCR also released a manifesto promising to spend Rs 50,000 crores in five years for the upliftment of backward classes and SCs and STs; 12 per cent reservation for Muslims; Rs 10 lakhs and agricultural land for the families of each Telangana martyr.
“Welfare of weaker sections and minorities will be our first priority,” KCR said.