As tussle for general election hots up, Law and Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday made his debut on social networking site Facebook to counter “misinformation” being floated by his opponents.
“At the time of election, it is important that all the information that is around, being sourced from motivated people as part of their election campaign. The truth must reach people,” Sibal told PTI.
The minister has been often fielded by Congress to counter opponents in Parliament as well as outside the house.
“I want to reach more and more people to tell them the truth not only about myself but work that we have done as government. It is important for us to put out the facts as they are, instead of the misinformation that is going around, which is politically motivated,” he said.
Although there is a page on the Facebook in the name of the minister, his office said that it had not been set up by him. This page has about 15,000 followers.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
However, Sibal already has presence on the internet through his website and another social network site Twitter. He has about 75,000 followers on Twitter.
Sibal has been Member of Parliament from Chandni Chowk constituency in Delhi since 2004. Polling in his constituency for General election 2014 is scheduled for April 10.
When asked for his late appearance on Facebook, Sibal said “Nothing is late. People read Facebook on a daily basis. In the next 20 days or three weeks when they know more, they will realise that real Kapil Sibal is not the fake Kapil Sibal that BJP talks about. I think lot of people will get to know about me”.
Facebook in India had about 93 million users at the end of 2013.