As tussle for general election hots up, Law and Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday made his debut on social networking site Facebook to counter “misinformation” being floated by his opponents.
“At the time of election, it is important that all the information that is around, being sourced from motivated people as part of their election campaign. The truth must reach people,” Sibal told PTI.
The minister has been often fielded by Congress to counter opponents in Parliament as well as outside the house.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
“I want to reach more and more people to tell them the truth not only about myself but work that we have done as government. It is important for us to put out the facts as they are, instead of the misinformation that is going around, which is politically motivated,” he said.
Although there is a page on the Facebook in the name of the minister, his office said that it had not been set up by him. This page has about 15,000 followers.
However, Sibal already has presence on the internet through his website and another social network site Twitter. He has about 75,000 followers on Twitter.
Sibal has been Member of Parliament from Chandni Chowk constituency in Delhi since 2004. Polling in his constituency for General election 2014 is scheduled for April 10.
When asked for his late appearance on Facebook, Sibal said “Nothing is late. People read Facebook on a daily basis. In the next 20 days or three weeks when they know more, they will realise that real Kapil Sibal is not the fake Kapil Sibal that BJP talks about. I think lot of people will get to know about me”.
Facebook in India had about 93 million users at the end of 2013.