Senior Congress leader Kapil Sibal on Friday moved the Election Commission over the issue of the marital status of Narendra Modi by seeking action by the poll body against the BJP leader for “hiding” facts in election affidavits filed by him in the past.
“I have filed a petition with the Election Commission on Friday seeking action against Modi under various provisions of the IPC for hiding facts in his election affidavits regadring his marriage,” Sibal said after meeting the poll panel. He said that between 2002 and 2012, Modi had filed election affidavits while contesting Gujarat assembly elections where he had not mentioned his marital status.
“He has not informed the country about this fact. Now, while contesting from Vadorara Lok Sabha seat, he has mentioned that he is married,” Sibal said. He said the EC has assured to examine his plea. Earlier on Friday, Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi raked up the issue of Modi’s marriage to hit out at BJP, saying while the party made claims of ensuring safety of women, it took several elections for its Prime Ministerial candidate to mention the name of his wife in the poll affidavit.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“Don’t know how many elections he has contested till now, but he has revealed for the first time that he is married. In Delhi, he talks about honour of women but his own wife’s name doesn’t reach the affidavit,” Rahul said.
Modi has for the first time declared himself as a married man by revealing his wife’s name as Jashodaben in an affidavit filed before the Election Commission along with his nomination papers for Vadodara Lok Sabha seat.