Senior Congress leader Kapil Sibal on Friday moved the Election Commission over the issue of the marital status of Narendra Modi by seeking action by the poll body against the BJP leader for “hiding” facts in election affidavits filed by him in the past.
“I have filed a petition with the Election Commission on Friday seeking action against Modi under various provisions of the IPC for hiding facts in his election affidavits regadring his marriage,” Sibal said after meeting the poll panel. He said that between 2002 and 2012, Modi had filed election affidavits while contesting Gujarat assembly elections where he had not mentioned his marital status.
“He has not informed the country about this fact. Now, while contesting from Vadorara Lok Sabha seat, he has mentioned that he is married,” Sibal said. He said the EC has assured to examine his plea. Earlier on Friday, Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi raked up the issue of Modi’s marriage to hit out at BJP, saying while the party made claims of ensuring safety of women, it took several elections for its Prime Ministerial candidate to mention the name of his wife in the poll affidavit.
“Don’t know how many elections he has contested till now, but he has revealed for the first time that he is married. In Delhi, he talks about honour of women but his own wife’s name doesn’t reach the affidavit,” Rahul said.
Modi has for the first time declared himself as a married man by revealing his wife’s name as Jashodaben in an affidavit filed before the Election Commission along with his nomination papers for Vadodara Lok Sabha seat.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest